
When Ryan and I were first dating, we got together a few times to run around the Mission Viejo Lake (three point some-odd miles). I never played sports as a kid and I've never been a very active person, so running the lake was very challenging for me. Ryan on the other hand, was very active and he could probably run the entire thing without stopping (he also has more discipline than I do). I used to get so frustrated with him because when I wanted to stop, he would push me and push me to keep going. I felt like such a wimp. Needless to say, we didn't run the lake for long.
Now, 2 years later, I'm developing a desire to get more active...perhaps because swimsuit season is rearing it's ugly head. I don't want to run alone, and of all of my local friends, Ryan lives the closest :) so he seems like the obvious running partner. He however, hasn't seemed so eager to get out and run with me. There could be two reasons for this: 1. He can run much faster and longer than I can. Keeping my pace isn't challenging enough for him. 2. He doesn't like my 'run/walk' alternating. Because of reason #1, he doesn't need to stop and walk as much as I do, so he pushes me to keep going and I get frustrated with him because I can't...
Anyway, I finally convinced him. Tonight the two of us dusted off our running shoes and hit the pavement. I asked him not to push me, as it was my first time running in about 2 years, I knew I needed to take it easy. He was really good about it. I picked the route (the one he suggested was far too long for our first run). It was quick, about 20 minutes, but it was intense. Down a big old hill (easy as pie), and then, uh oh, didn't realize, what goes down must come back UP! I had to walk most of the up hill part and by the time we got home, I thought I might pass out.
My side was cramped like crazy and my face felt like it was on fire. That intensified as I sat down, but I felt all wobbly and didn't want to stand. My head throbbed and my ears hurt, like there was tons of pressure on them...anyway...I've decided runners are nuts! But, I want to be nuts like them. I want to run and enjoy it. I want to not feel like dying after a short run. I want to get into shape!
So...I guess we keep up with this miserable running thing until it gets easier. Let's just hope it does.
5 comments:
I strongly recommend the Wii Fit. You can go running on it (you just put your wii remote in your pocket and it takes you for a run). It's totally helping me get more active and I don't have to have someone to work out with.
Running never has, and never will be easy for me. At my fittest, I couldn't run for very long. I really like doing the eliptical, the bike (which I ride every day) or swimming. I hope running gets easier for you because it never did for me! Maybe a long bike ride might be better?
Running is like anything... you have to start off slow. I like running cause it relieves my stress. Just take is slow and you will be fine!
I'll go running with you! I'm not very fast but I love getting out and exercising!
Go you! I so wish that I could run!
Post a Comment