When Ryan and I made the decision to move to Northern CA we began searching for a place to live on Craigslist and planned a trip to see some places mid-April. One day I found a place in Dublin that looked perfect. It was a 2bed + loft, 2 bath, granite countertops, only a few years old, in the city we wanted, directly across the street from the BART station, which Ryan will take to work, and it just seemed all around PERFECT. I sent them a picture of me and Ryan, and another picture of me and Walle so they could fall in love with his wrinkly little face. My parents went to see the place and let us know if it was as good as it seemed online. They had only good things to report and the owners loved my parents, so they chose us as the tenants. We were SO excited!! We cancelled our trip up North and fully planned on moving into this place on May 1.
We received the lease, signed it and waited for the owners to let us know where to send it. And
we waited…and waited…and waited…for FOUR days. Prior to this, the owner and I had been emailing each other 3-4 times a day and now he wasn’t responding to me. I was getting the sense that something wasn’t right. FINALLY after Ryan called him, the owner emailed me and told me that they had a family emergency in India and would have to leave. They asked if we could change our move in date to June 1 instead of May 1. This would not work for us, as we had already put notice in at our condo and our jobs. We now had less than 2 weeks before our move and no place to live. I was very bummed out and discouraged.
Back to the drawing board…or in our case, Craigslist. We saw a few apartments that looked nice and just had to choose one based on a few pictures. We were pretty nervous coming here, sight unseen, but the complex we chose was only 5 years old, so we knew it couldn’t be too bad.
As Joey and I drove into San Ramon, we actually passed the Dublin condo that we lost, and while it looked nice, there were no trees or any plants around…it was just a big cement neighborhood…no color. We exited the freeway right near there and headed into San Ramon. As we got into San Ramon, suddenly there were trees and plants everywhere. It was so much more inviting. We turned into our complex and it was really nice! I was beginning to think it was probably better that we didn’t get the first place.
When we got the keys and walked up to our front door, we were a little nervous. Would it be nice? Would it be clean? Would it be big enough? Would our stuff fit? We walked in and both Ryan and I uttered “Whoa”…in a good way. It was all of the above and we were VERY happy. We’ve since driven around the city and I LOVE it!! I think we’re going to like it here!
No comments:
Post a Comment