Dec 17, 2007

It's Christmas time & time for a carol...

Well, it took me a little while, but I'm finally feeling a little Christmas cheer. I've been listening to my Carpenters Christmas CD, which I just love. We've played it every Christmas since I was a kid. My dad hates it because my mom, sister and I would play it several times a day during the weeks leading up to Christmas. Amazingly, I've never gotten sick of it. This season, I've also really enjoyed Josh Groban's Noel.

Up until this last weekend, we had zero Christmas decor in our home. As most newly weds do, we started with nothing. I finally started to get frustrated that it wasn't Christmasy in our place, so I went out this weekend while Ryan golfed and took care of it. I got a tiny little tree (1.5 feet tall), some red fabric to go under it, some Cinnamon smelling pine cones and some Christmas lights. I had fun decorating with these few things, and thanks to mom and dad Brisco, we now have presents under the tree and "stockings hung by the chimney with care".


My mom made probably about 50 of these stockings one year when she participated in a local craft boutique. They took forever because she had to cut and sew each strip of Christmas fabric. I remember having to help and I just hated it. Once I saw the finished product though, I felt bad for griping. I loved them. Luckily, my mom made one for each member of our family and even saved a few extra for the inevitable future sons and daughters-in-law. Ryan got his today!!
Along with decorating, Ryan and I went out to see Christmas lights at "Candy Cane Lane". It's a local neighborhood that goes crazy with lights and decor, they even have a snow machine!! We went with a bunch of friends and had walkie talkies in the two cars and played Christmas movie trivia while we drove. It was so much fun. I'd say our car totally won the game!! As a great end to our Christmas filled weekend, Ryan and I watched an old Christmas classic last night...ELF :) OK, it's not old, but it's one of the best!!! We were pretty much laughing the entire time.
Tomorrow night is my office Christmas party, where we will stuff ourselves with some yummy Italian food and have a white elephant gift exchange. I'm really excited. I've been planning it for over a month and it's always seemed so far away. It's finally here.
I feel the same way about Christmas. It's always seemed so far away, now it's in 1 week. I can't believe it!!
Oh, P.S. -- Our tree is a living tree, in a pot and all. How cool would that be if we had a yard and could plant it after Christmas and then always have our very first Christmas tree. If only...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't burn down the house! You got candles burning in a bowl of dried pine cones!

I didn't even realize the Christmas cards on the wall until I zoomed in on the Stockings. Those are vibrant and holiday-filled for sure!

Ryan and Missy- said...

Don't worry, they're on secure candle holders sitting above the dried pine cones. And we are always within sight of them. No fire hazards here!!

Abby said...

I love your stockings!!! I actually made those our first Christmas with Noah but they were done so bad and now I am behind I need to re-do them all!!! I love decorating for Christmas!!!

Tiersha said...

Very cute...we need to come over and see it!