Apr 1, 2008

Who does he think he is?!?



Why is it that some people think that it's OK to scream and yell at others in order to get what they want? Perhaps because it's worked in the past?

During my last 5 minutes at work I decided to call and request some tax info from a man who I had just paid a VERY large check to. Apparently, this check should have been cut a week ago, but our company just got the information yesterday. Rather than simply faxing me the information I needed, the man decided to yell and scream at me about something I had absolutely no control over. I explained that I was JUST the admin. girl and had NO information or knowledge about his case. HE kept screaming. I then tried to explain that all I needed was his tax info. and I would gladly hand him over to his adjuster who knows the specifics on his case. HE told me to SHUT UP AND LISTEN!. I hung up.

Of course I kept pretty calm on the phone, but after the tears started to flow. Not because my feelings were hurt, but because I was so shocked at the way that conversation had gone, I've never been yelled at like that. AND, I felt like I might get in trouble for hanging up on him (during all the yelling, he threatened to sue, so I thought my hanging up might have made it worse).

Anyway, it got me thinking. Was this guy really that upset about this check that was paid a few days late? Or does he just have major anger issues? I was not instigating this type of behavior at all, I was very polite and calm the entire time. There was absolutely NO need to yell.

It was a pretty frustrating experience and it makes me mad that some people have so little respect for others.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you were fine to hangup. If they, after a few requests to be polite, continue to be beligerent then they deserve it. It's not considered bad business skills. Some people will just not listen and will take it out on anyone. You tried to reason and he wouldn't listen so you hungup and went back to work. If he doesn't get the picture from that then he does have issues. I've had patients that I've had to do that to and sometimes they realize they we're being a pain and some think they're still right.

Courtney N said...

Oh man this is crazy cause I had a similar experience just a few days ago. I was yelled at...ok it wasn't just yelling it was swearing too... in front of other people and all I could do was stand there and take it. It was horrible because I knew that he was yelling at me because he was just wanted to take his anger out of someone and I happen to be in his wake. I think that you were justified in hanging up on him. I wish I could have hung up in my yeller. But seriously, no one should treat you like that; you didn't deserve it, no one does.

Meg said...

"MESSENGER"<------ Shoot Here.
I know how that goes. I work back office for a chiropractor but some days I have to answer phones and I swear I have no idea why people think they're so much more important than everyone else, and WHAT IS THE POINT of yelling?? It's not going to fix anything!!

Annica said...

Yeah...I hate people like that. I get crazy people on the phone all day long. I would have hung up too. Actually...I probably would have yelled back, so you did a better job than I would have!

Marni's Organized Mess said...

I hate it when I have to make a call to complain about something to a company and I make sure to make a point to mention... I know this is PERSONALLY not your fault, but I need to have this handled.

There's most likely NO reason to yell at the one who's answering the phone or handling you... :(