Jun 9, 2008

She's crafty!

Ryan and I are still putting the finishing touches on the new place. Over the weekend we bought a new buffet/server (whatever they're called) to go up against our red wall. I decided it really needed a table runner, but as I shopped, I found that they were all way too long and none were quite the color/design/fabric that I wanted. Today I wondered if I could make one...it seemed simple enough. Sew a few straight lines and Ta da! One problem. I don't have a sewing machine yet...so I worked with what I had...HOT GLUE! You better believe it! Here is what I did...


My mom has all these great sewing supplies and one of my favorites is the cutting board with a grid so you can always cut super straight lines. Obviously, I don't have one of those, so I used the best grid I could come up with...our tile floor. I just ran the scissors along the grout and got my straight line...almost perfect.

I ironed the edges all around so that it would be easier to glue them.


Then I used my trusty glue gun to glue the sides down.

I had to smooth the glue before it dried so it was not all puffy and visible.

Final step: Glue some tassels for a clean, fancy edge.


All finished


And there it is...

I'm not a crafty person, I rarely have the creative mind or the desire to make anything, but I must say, I'm pretty pleased with myself.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! I am impressed. I think it looks great. I can't believe you actually came up with it...well, I can, but I can't. Does that even make sense?

Anonymous said...

I totally impressed. Smart thinking there. If you ever need a machine you can borrom mine-but you did great without one.

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Looks like you learn something from your old mom. You are fantastic!!!!

Marni's Organized Mess said...

Go you! That's totally awesome!! :D

Arlene Neilson said...

You are amazing

Jamie said...

Way to go you do it yourselfer, crafty girl! Looks great!