Yeah yeah, we had an earthquake, most of you have blogged about it by now. It was the first one I've felt since I was a kid, so I admit, I was a little scared, even though we didn't seem to shake too much at our office.
My boss is from New Jersey and this was his first earthquake. He came running out from his conference call asking what was going on. Not even five minutes later, his mom was on the phone asking him to move back to New Jersey, where it was safe. It was funny.
Anyway, it's predicted that 'the big one' is coming within the next 30 years, which freaks me out. I was watching the news and they were talking about what you should do during a quake. We've all been taught different things, so they asked several people on the news where the safest place to go was. People mentioned things like door jams and outside away from buildings, which sounded right to me...I've heard them both. Turns out, both are unsafe. They say the safest thing you can do is duck under a 'sturdy piece of furniture'.
As I thought about our home and where we would go if another quake came, I realized we're in trouble. If a quake comes while we're in bed, we have a window over the head of our bed and 10 foot tall mirrored closet doors at the foot. that would be a lot of broken glass. Our second bedroom has the same set up. Our living room has a 7 foot tall entertainment center which would be dangerous to be around. The kitchen is obviously a danger zone. The one piece of furniture that we could even climb under is a plastic like table from Ikea that is not the least bit sturdy, so there goes the 'duck and cover' idea...I think our safest place is the bathroom...in the tub so the mirror doesn't get us. I pretty much decided that if another quake comes, I hope we're not home. I'd rather be at work again so I could climb under my safe sturdy desk.
1 comment:
Well this post made me laugh...I could just see you and Ryan curled up in the bathtub with the shampoo bottles and soap flying everywhere. Oh that mental picture just made my day. On a more serious note, I hope you're not at home either :)
Post a Comment