So, now that I'm nearly set to graduate in May, I have to think about what I'll do next! It's a scary thought. I've been so excited to graduate, but I somewhat dreaded finding a job. I've been scared to get a job in the speech therapy field because I have ZERO experience working or volunteering in the field. Most students in my classes work in schools or in autism clinics. Because of my lack of experience, I really thought that upon graduation I'd be hard pressed to find a job.
Lucky for me, we went to a baseball game with some friends on Monday night, one of which graduated from my school, in my field!! I took the opportunity to pick her brain!
Turns out, she works for a company that hires on speech aids and behaviorists (I think that's the right word). She's been with the company for a while and has gotten a few friends jobs right out of school. They have a great training program, AND she's willing to refer me, when I'm ready!! She said it would be a great opportunity to 'get my feet wet'. I could work with a range of different clients; children, disabled children, elderly people, etc. That way I can find out which group I prefer to work with and stick with that.
She also gave me great information about continuing my education once I graduate...I have one more semester of classes (just two classes) to take at a local community college to become a SLPA (speech and language pathology assistant). I knew I wanted to do this, but I figured, once I graduate I'd go sign up for the classes. Turns out, there's a year long waiting list, so I need to get on it NOW. I'm SOOO glad I found that out!
It was so great to have someone to talk to about this. In my field, most are planning to go on and get their Masters. Because that's not the direction I want to take (yet anyway), I have found it hard to get good advice for my route. Monday night was JUST what I needed.
Thanks Melinda!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment