Well folks, we've just experienced our first snake escape!
People are often shocked to hear that I'm not worried about the snake getting out. His tank is pretty big and tall, and it locks at the top. There's no way he's getting out. So, "how did it escape?" you might wonder. Well, let me tell you.
When feeding the snake, we take it out of its tank and put it in a feeding box, which is pretty large. Ryan says we do this to keep the snake tame, something about eating in the tank makes it more likely to strike when you reach in because he assumes it's feeding time. Even though our snake seems to hate feeding time and more often than not seems afraid of its food, we still put him in a feeding box.
Well, today Ryan brought home a feeder mouse, but, as usual, the snake wouldn't eat it. He went to return it to get two smaller mice, and by small I mean an inch long...or shorter, maybe. SUCCESS!
The snake, who remains nameless(unless you ask Courtney), ate the first one with ease. Ryan and Luke sat near him and played their computer game. Some time later, they looked down to see if he'd (I call it a he, by the way, because it's gross, and "he" is the first thing that comes to mind. Ryan calls it "she" because of the picky eating habits. He sees an attitude and assumes 'woman')made any progress. "He's gone". "No he's not!!", I couldn't believe it because it's just like Ryan to try to freak me out. After I looked to confirm, lots of words flew out of my mouth, stuff about never wanting a snake in the first place and being totally grossed out and worried that we'd never find it, or worse, that we'd find it in our bed!! I was even tip-toeing around scared that I'd stumble across it.
Well, conveniently, the snake hadn't gone far. Ryan found him a few feet away from the box. BUT, it was still a scare. ICK!
---
We had a similar experience when we first got the snake, I don't know if I blogged about it...
The snake was in its feeder box, again, NOT EATING, and Ryan had to jump in the shower. He told me to watch the box in case the snake tried to escape. Well, the box is a good foot tall, so I wasn't worried.
I wandered into the kitchen to do the dishes and 10 minutes later thought I should glance over. To my dismay, I saw the snakes head hanging over the edge of the box. PANIC!
Me: "RYAN!!!! He's getting out!!!"
Ryan (yelling from the shower): "Ok, so push him back in."
Me: "I'm not touching him. I TOLD you when you got this thing that I'd never touch it. HELP!"
Ryan: "Mis, I'm in the shower, I can't do anything from here."
Me: "GET OUT HERE and get him." As I'm speaking, I know he won't jump out to help, so I start looking around for something to use to push him back in. AN ENVELOPE!! I put the envelope under his head and attempt to fling him back down into the box, but to my surprise, somehow he uses the envelope the launch himself OUT of the box and onto the carpet! AHHHHH! Stay calm, don't panic...
Me: jumping up onto the arm of the couch and just watching him, "RYAAAAANNNN! He's out and on the floor...NOW he's going under the couch!!" (So much for not panicking)
Thank goodness, Ryan ran out to save the day. He scooped him up and returned him to the box.
Though the snake did get out that first time, I don't count that as the first escape because we DID know where it was the entire time. TODAY it got out and got AWAY. Creepy.
Yeah, I may be a little dramatic. In retrospect I see that my reaction was silly (as I KNOW the snake can't bite me or hurt me in any way), but judging from my reaction today, I can tell that my reaction will probably always be just as ridiculous.
---
Just thought I'd share :)
4 comments:
No, no, there is nothing ridiculous about being nervous when a snake is on the loose in your home. I would have a hard time sleeping at night, or at the very least would cringe every time I walked past its cage. Maybe you could make some sort of netting for the top of the feeding box, because this whole feeding box thing seems like a serious hole in the plan. Twice is WAY too many times for him to have escaped. I support you on this one... sorry Ryan! :)
You have every reason to act that way. I would with a snake in my house. Ryan should just be happy that you let him have one in the house.
Haha Chester is so funny (giving you a heart attack like that)!! You need to just learn to love him cause Im sure he loves you!!
That has got to be the FUNNIEST and BEST blog I have ever read. That totally made my day!! I have to disagree with Courtney...there's no way I could learn to love "Chester." lol
Post a Comment