Sep 26, 2008

My friend, the rock star...

Flashback:

I had an AMAZING group of friends in high school. Nearly all of the guys were musical and very much into rock. It was either junior or senior year that they decided to create a band to participate in our school's "Battle of the Bands", the band was named Peach. We had Dylan on the drums, Adam on the guitar, Dave on the base, Billy and Tyler on the vocals, and Colin...well, Colin had no musical ability, but he wanted to be included, so he got to dance around stage while they played (it was SO funny to see). Anyway, it was always fun to watch the guys play. I remember one night we had a party at Tyler's where Peach premiered. There were so many people there, including our Psych. teacher, Mr. Gorski. There was a big enough crowd, that one or two kids even did a little crowd surfing. It was a great time.

The guys were good. I don't know if I'd say the BAND was good, but each of the guys who played an instrument had talent.

After high school, most went of to college. Dylan, the drummer, was dating my best friend Megan, so they went off to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo together.

A year or two into it, Dylan realized that college just wasn't for him. He dropped out of Cal Poly, moved to LA and enrolled in the Musician's Institute (MI), right in the heart of Hollywood. I remember thinking it was a pretty crazy move. So many people want to make it as a musician, but how many actually DO make it? Not many. I wanted Dylan to be a rock star, but I just didn't think it could really happen. There's so much competition in that world.

Cut to today:

Well, Dylan has been successful. He's played for several different bands. He's toured throughout the US. He's played in Japan, Australia, somewhere in the middle east for the troops, and more (I haven't talked to him in a month or so, so I don't know what his latest adventure is). He's been drumming for a popular band, Unwritten Law, and last night they were on Late Night with Carson Daly.

I can't tell you how cool it was to watch one of my best friends do what he loves on television. I've seen him play many, many times. I know he's good. I know that he has some crazy fans. Some drummers from other, more popular bands have even told him he's amazing. But there's just something about seeing him on TV that made it all seem more real. He really IS becoming a rock star. He gets to meet, hang out with, and play with some of the guys he grew up listening to. Last year, Ryan and I went to one of his shows and the opening band was one Dylan has always liked. He couldn't believe that this band that he loved was opening for HIM! How cool is that?

He's young and this journey is only just beginning. Who knows what's in store for him. I just know that he has enough drive and enough talent to keep moving forward. I'm so proud of him for following his dreams and finding a way to do what he loves and get paid for it.

No comments: