Well, actually, I did.
So yesterday I got to work around noon and was told the internet was out. My boss wasn't in, so he told everyone that I'd fix it when I got in. They had already called Cox and found that it wasn't a problem with the internet, so it must be something with one of our routers...we have two, so all 12 of our computers can connect to the net at the same time. I don't know what he expected me to be able to do, seeing as how another employee had already unplugged and replugged the routers (that's the only trick in my book). My boss really has too much faith in my computer fixing abilities. Sometimes (like in this case), I do more damage than good!
I went back to our computer closet to unplug and replug again, when I noticed that one of the router's lights weren't on any more. I switched that plug to the router which was working, and then THAT one's lights weren't on. From that, I figured it must be the plug that was out, not the router.
I got my "blown out plug" and headed to Staples. I showed them what I needed and the manager said he didn't have that exact cord, but had something (made for a laptop) that would work for our router. I bought it and headed back to the office.
When I plugged it in, nothing happened, so I tried it again, but before I did, I noticed a funny smell. Hmmm, oh well. Unplug. Plug. "POP!!". FLAME.
That's right, I plugged it back in and the router caught on FIRE. Luckily it was small and I just blew it out.
We went from needing a new plug to needing a whole new router, thanks to me...and of course, our router is some special one that can't just be picked up at Staples, but must be specially ordered by our IT department in New Jersey.
I really thought I might get in trouble for this, since I didn't just call IT in the first place, but thankfully, everyone got a good laugh out of it. The VP of our company even called asking for "Fire Marshal Melissa".
---
To make the day worse, I was sitting at my desk and as I slid my chair in to get closer to the desk, I SLAMMED my knee into a bar holds the desk up. Now, I rarely cry from pain, but I think that's because I don't often feel severe pain. Not this time, I started bawling. It KILLED. It still hurts to put all my weight on it. I'm pretty sure it's gonna turn into a gnarly bruise. Lucky for me, Ryan took good care of me last night by making dinner and watching X-files all night with me.
So, that was my crazy day. It stunk and because of it, I decided to take today off :)
4 comments:
Love it...we only had a good microwave fire in my office, and the President started it...but there were lots of flame and smoke =) Glad you didn't get hurt and didn't burn anything down...and get some ice on that knee =)
This reminds me of the office episode where Ryan starts the fire. I'm glad you are safe and sorry your knees kill.
Poor Melissa. That stinks. It's kinda funny a fire started though. Something like that would happen to you :)
Hey,
This is Mike with Letter Perspectives. Thanks for the link. If you (or your readers) want to use the coupon 20FORME - we'll give you $20 off.
Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment