Jan 16, 2009

SAVED!

Ok, this won't interest most of you, but it made me SO happy, that I just had to blog about it.

Since we moved in to our new place last summer, we have discovered many problems with the it. One of the problems that I get the most frustrated about involves the dishwasher. Gradually our lovely Crate & Barrel glasses have become more and more cloudy...our black plastic utensils (like spatula's and serving spoons) are now tinted with white that won't come off, and sometimes everything seems to have a white powder on it that has to be rinsed off.

I've tried different dish washing detergents, I've tried washing by hand, I've tried different settings on the dishwasher, I've tried Jet Dry...NOTHING worked. My dishes were still cloudy.

I decided to research the subject online and found that the likely cause was hard water or mineral buildup. There were MANY MANY solutions suggested, including: running your dishwasher with Kool-Aid, Tang, Coke, Vinegar or Bleach. I learned that powdered dish washing detergents are better than the popular gels because the gels tend to leave a film.

Armed with these new suggestions, a new box of powdered detergent and a specific detergent for glasses, I got to work. Last night I ran the empty dishwasher with some bleach poured in the bottom. Once that cycle finished, I loaded all of my clean (but cloudy) glasses and filled one detergent compartment with the glass detergent and the other one with Cascade (as instructed). An hour later I went to check on the dishes...I really didn't expect it to work...BUT IT DID! My glasses were clear and clean!!

I don't know exactly what did the job...the bleach, the powdered detergent, or the special glass detergent, but I don't care. I know have sparkling glasses again and I'm so happy.

I opened the dishwasher 3 different times while they were drying just to make sure they were still clear. Each time I checked I would tell Ryan "I'm just so happy!!". Sometimes it's the little things that make my day.

Thank goodness for the Internet and search engines. With them, I can fix almost ANYTHING.

3 comments:

Marni's Organized Mess said...

Oh honey, that totally excites me too. Glad you blogged about it. I LOVE this kind of stuff!

Rebekah said...

Haha!! That's awesome. Google is my hero. And your research is very helpful! I will have to sent your success story to my Mom who has the same problem.

Greg and Diana said...

I have had the same problem in this house with this "high end" dishwasher. The other day when we were at Costco we bought some powder detergent to try when we run out of the liquid to see if we could get rid of the film and spots that are being left. Now that I know there is hope I am super stoked to start using the powder!!