So now that I'm done with school, I'm going to have a lot more free time on my hands. One thing I really want to do with some of that free time is take a photography class. It's something I've always been interested in, but just never had the time to do.
My first step in preparing for a photography class will be to get a new (or maybe gently used) digital SLR camera. I've always wanted one. I love my digital point and shoot, but it is pretty limited in terms of what it can do.
So, this is where I ask for your help. I know several of you just recently got new DLSR cameras. Can you share any of your knowledge with me? What camera do you have? What made you choose that particular camera? Is there anything you wish you would have known before you made your selection?
I'm doing a lot of research online, but I'm interested in hearing what you might have learned.
Once I get the camera, I'll spend some time getting familiar with it and THEN I'll start looking into photography classes. I'm really excited. I NEED a hobby.
5 comments:
I strongly recommend Canon's. I know so many photographers who swear by them and their work is phenomenal.
I don't know where I got all the stuff floating in my head, but here is what I (think) I know.
Canon's and Nikon's are the only way to go.
I went with Canon due to my DH research, BUT I read online a lot of women just really felt like it fit in their hands better.
I have 3 Canon's LOVE. them. ALL!!!
I went with a Rebel, again, I don't remember why, but I did research, lol. I also like that McMama (My Charming Kids.net) has one that I found out AFTER the fact of buying mine. AND she's a professional. But she did upgrade not too long ago and therefore, what I have now is her backup.
I later chose the Rebel 15MP new one because it have video on it and that's really important to me. I know, silly, but it was like the same for a lower quality and a video system separate as it was for this one (or less $!) with a video and higher MP.
Hope that helps, some?
I want a rebel. I have the cannon power shot and I love it. SO you have to keep me updated because I was just telling Jeff how I want to get into photography again. I really want to take a class we should take one together!!!
I debated back and forth between Cannon and Nikon. I ended up buying the Nikon D-80 and I have LOVED every second of it. I liked that it felt much sturdier in my hands than Cannon (heavier though). There are also LOTS of other features about the Nikon that I prefered. I strongly suggest finding a good camera store (I went to Ritz/Wolf Camera)and asking them to show you all the different features of both brands. I quickly learned that the employees at Costco and Best Buy know NOTHING about these cameras. :) But honestly, you can't go wrong with either brand. They are VERY comperable.
One thing I DID learn is that it's ALLLLLL about the lens. The camera body is of course important too, but the lenses are what can make or break your photos. I am the world's biggest fan of "Prime Lenses." These are the lenses that can blur the background of your photos, making them look professional. I have the 50mm 1.8f prime and am DYING to get some of the nicer ones that have wider lenses, but of course, the ones I want are like $600 each! I have 3lenses but I honestly use my prime 95% of the time. (I also have a good zoom lens (55x200), which is always nice, and just a basic everyday lens (18x55). The 18x55 is by far the one I use the least. I think I've only put it on my camera a handful of times, and could have totally lived without it.
So basically, my suggestion would be to spend a little less on the camera body and invest in a really nice lens or two. I got the D-80 becuase it was the lowest camera in the "Professional Series" but still not rediculously expensive. I almost got the D-90 becuase of the video feature, but decided against it because I already have 2 video cameras that take longer and better quality videos. While I miss not having that feature for quick videos, I have found that I pull out our good video camera much more often. Looking back, I think I could totally have been happy with the D-40 or D-60 though (Shhh....Don't tell Grant!!) :)
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Okie dokie... I'll try to add what I can.
I think between Nikons and Canons you'll be happy with either. I only know one person who uses a Canon, actually. Other professional photographers I know and every blogger I read use Nikons. So I think you can find really good photographers using either, which only proves to me that the camera only gives you so much--skill trumps it.
That said, I have a Nikon. I did look into it a little bit when I started looking into a DSLR, but not too much. The reason is that I have a film SLR that's a Nikon I bought in high school, and I did research it a lot then. So going to a Nikon DSLR was easy for me because I already knew the controls and stuff. My fingers already knew where to go to change the aperture and stuff without thinking. Also, Nikon lenses are compatible between digital and film, whereas I don't think Canons are. But if all of the above doesn't apply to you your decision will be harder than mine. :)
If I recall, the reason I chose Nikon when I bought my first SLR is because it felt more professional to me. It was heavier and heartier. I felt like Canon was trying to mass market and Nikons were still for "real" photographers. I think that's different now in that SLR photography is so much more available all around (I spent more on my film SLR with less capabilities than the digital one).
This is getting long. Oh well, you asked for opinions and information. :)
So for Nikons I quickly narrowed my choices down to the D60 or D90 because they were the newest and had more megapixels. Between the two, I didn't feel like the D90 had enough features (that at my skill level I would use) to justify me spending that much more on it. Since it had just come out when I got my camera, you couldn't find them discounted much or anything, so it would have been hundreds more. The biggest difference I saw was the video capability, which is nice, but just wasn't worth so much to me. However, the D90 does have better internal autofocus in the body, which is nice if you get a lens without autofocus (some aren't autofocus unless they're really expensive). So there are a few things that in retrospect perhaps I should have thought more about. Really, though, even if I had, the D90 was just more than I wanted to spend, plain and simple. I didn't feel like my skills were enough to justify spending about $1000. I probably would have grown into it, but that's hard to buy something just hoping you'll eventually use all its capabilities, you know?
You'd have to ask Adrian how he got such a good deal on my camera. Part of it was using Live search cashback, though, which now isn't giving as large a percentage back. He also used an ebay coupon or something. Anyway, if you hunt hard enough you can pay a more reasonable amount of money. :)
Oh, and I'll second that lenses are really important. I could buy a lot. It's dangerous.
One more thing about Canon vs. Nikon: not only do you need to talk to people who really know cameras and learn the features, you need to feel them. Hold the cameras and pretend you're taking a picture. Nikons have always felt better to me. That was another reason I went with Nikon on my first camera. But that's totally personal preference.
Post a Comment