Jun 21, 2009

Book Recomendation



I just finished the most wonderful book, not even 10 minutes ago (I'm still drying my eyes), and I MUST share it with you. Before leaving for Mexico, I ran to Target to search for some books to take with me. As I browsed the best seller section looking for something I had heard of, I saw this book called The Invisible Wall. I had never heard of it, and I think it was out of place as there was no sale sign for it. It was the only copy there and for some reason, I was drawn to it. I read the back and knew it would be a story I'd enjoy.

The back of the book reads:

On the eve of World War I, in a small English mill town, Harry Bernstein's family struggles to make ends meet. Harry's father earns little money at the Jewish tailoring shop and brings home even less, preferring to spend his wages drinking and gambling. Harry's mother, devoted to her children and fiercely resilient, survives on her dreams: new shoes for young Harry, her daughter's marriage to the local rabbi. Then Harry's older sister does the unthinkable: She falls in love with a Christian boy. But they are separated by an "invisible wall" that divides Jewish families on one side of the street from Christian families on the other. When Harry unwittingly discovers the secret affair, he must choose between the morals he's been taught all his life, his loyalty to his selfless mother, and what he knows to be true in his own heart.

The reviews are great, you can read some HERE.

I highly recommend this memoir. I just found out in the Afterword that this is the author's first published novel and he was 96 years old when it was published. He's since published one more novel and is working on his third.

Let me know if you do read it...I'd love to know what you think...

2 comments:

Allison said...

sounds good. can i borrow it for the lake? i was just telling justin i needed a good book. :)

Courtney N said...

Sweet! I've been looking for some new books to read.