Jun 20, 2009

Update

We've been keeping busy since we got home from our trip. Of course we went straight back to work and caught up on all that we missed. Luckily for me, it wasn't too much. Our first weekend home, we hardly left the house. We were just exhausted and it was nice to rest.

---

I think I mentioned that when we came home from our trip, the raccoons were back and they had gotten pretty nasty and threatening. We called our landlords the next day to take care of that and the area that the raccoons have been hanging out in has been screened off, so we haven't seen them in a while. It's been nice to come home at night and not be scared to walk up the stairs to our condo!

---

Last weekend we were invited to go to Lake Havasu with Ryan's Cousin Rob, his wife Shannon, and some of their friends. Shannons family has a house out there with boats and jet skis, so we were able to go out and have a lot of fun on the water. Everyone (accept me) tried to get up on the wakeboards, and most were successful. I didn't try because I've tried 2 or 3 times before and have not had any luck. The water was cold and I just didn't feel like sitting in it for 20 minutes exhausting myself while trying to get up on the board. We're going to lake Nacimiento in a week and I WILL try to get up on the board again there, I promise.

I was perfectly happy sitting in the boat soaking up a little sun, but was soon convinced to get on the jet ski. I made Ryan ride with me and I'm so glad I did! First I drove, with him on back and it was enjoyable, but I was scared, so I wasn't going very fast. Then he told me to let go and he reached around me and started driving. He went SO FAST. The water was splashing in our faces and we were bouncing hard on the wakes from other boats. I couldn't stop laughing, it was SO fun! Later we switched spots and I got on back and held on to him. I was scared of flying off, so I held on with my arms and legs, by squeezing as tightly as I could to the ski. My legs were VERY sore the next day.

It was a really fun weekend trip and it got me more excited for our trip to lake Nacimiento at the end of this month. Unfortunately because of work schedules, we'll only get to be up there for a day or two.

---

I got a new camera! I knew I wanted to get something special with my graduation money, but I couldn't think of anything until the night of graduation, it just hit me that I have always wanted a Digital SLR camera and now was my chance to get one. I have been researching the DSLRs since then now and I had it narrowed down to two. The Nikon D60 and the Canon Rebel XSI. I was leaning toward the Canon because from the pictures online, it seemed to look nicer. Also, I already have a Canon point and shoot, so I thought it would be good to stick with the same brand, I might be more comfortable with the controls and stuff. I was 90% sure I was going to get a Canon, but I was told that before I puchase anything, I should go feel the cameras to see which one fit better in my hands. I'm SO glad I did. It took me less than 5 seconds to realize that compared to the Nikon, the Canon was bigger, felt and looked a little cheaper, and fit really funny in my hands. When I picked up the Nikon, the best way to describe it is that it fit like Cinderella's shoe. It was just a perfect fit in my hands! I was so excited, I wanted to buy it right then and there...it was at Costco and it was on sale...but for $799. I had been looking at them on Ebay and knew I could get it for several hundred less than that. I went home and put in a bid and the next morning I found that I had won. Hopefully I'll receive it next week. I'm just too excited and ready to play with it and learn all I can about it.

In the end, I know I would have been happy with the Canon. It's a great camera and very comparable to the Nikon. I know several people who have the Canon Rebel and are very happy with it. But for me, the Nikon just fit in my hands better (I have small hands, so the smaller camera works a lot better for me). I'm VERY happy with my decision.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

getting thrown of a jet-ski isn't so bad. It's a bit of a rush just don't have your mouth open especially if you go straight behind the jet ski...

Congrats on the camera-if you need a toddler to practice pictures on Bri would be more than happy to oblige.

Karilyn Carreon said...

We just got the Nikon D-60 and we love it! I think I need to take a class to learn all the different settings and what not. It came with a DVD but I'm still lost! Good Luck!