It's already been 10 days since I last blogged? Where has the time gone?! It really seems that August is FLYING by. I hate to say it, but...it's almost CHRISTMAS time. Ok, we still have 4 full months, but at the rate this year is moving for me, it's practically here!
Things are going well for us. We're both just working away and taking care of the puppy in ALL of our free time. I may or may not resent him a little for that.
Wanna know something that really bothers me? When I talk about my puppy frustrations, about how all my spare time is spent with the puppy and how hard he can be to take care of, and how upset I get when he makes a mess or whines...everyone raises they're eyebrow and says something to the effect of "WELL, maybe you shouldn't have kids".
While, yes, the responsibilities of puppyhood are similar to those I'll take on when we decide to have a baby, I can be SURE that my attitude will be different (at least on most days). I've dreamt of being a mother since I was old enough to dream. It's something I can hardly wait for. So, while the responsibilities of motherhood will not be easy, I know they will be worth it. I will give up my freedom, clean house, sleep, and many other things willingly because it will be SO worth it. I may complain once in a while (blame it on the sleepless nights), but I will (HOPEFULLY) gladly sacrifice anything for my child!
It's a little harder to be happy to sacrifice for the puppy. As cute as he is, he sure can be a punk. It's never been my dream to have a puppy and I haven't opened up to the idea much yet. There are days when I fully regret getting him. BUT, I know he'll grow out of this whiny, biting at my clothes, peeing (and sometimes pooping) in the house stage. Hopefully THEN I'll be more happy to have him around. He's not all bad, don't get me wrong. There are some really fun moments.
So far my favorites are: When he runs and his feet are too big for him so he trips over them. When he first wakes up and is all sleepy and yawny. When he sits calmly in his bed as we watch tv or do whatever around the house. When he sits nicely by my feet as I do the dishes. When he cuddles with Ryan before bedtime. (notice a theme here...I like the tired, mellow dog)
My least favorites are (Aside from the obvious pottying in the house): When he growls and barks at me as I sit down for any length of time to watch tv. When he growls or barks at me when I eat breakfast in the morning. When he bites everyone's jeans (and shirts, or whatever he can get to) and rips them. When people come over and have to put their feet up (including me) because if you don't he'll bite at your feet, shoes, or jeans.
Anyway, I know there are good and bad moments in motherhood too, and I don't expect it to be a cakewalk, believe me. I just think I'll be happier to do it. AND, I'll have 9 months to adjust to the idea...with the puppy I had about 1 day to adjust to the idea.
3 comments:
Having a dog can sort of prepare you for parenthood, but not liking to clean up after the dog, etc. makes you in no way less able to be parent. People are silly.
Kids are way harder. You can't leave them at home when you feel like going out without hiring a babysitter. They take more laundry and more money, and they make bigger messes. And mine is only six months old! But it doesn't matter. You're going to love your kid more than a dog. You somehow barely notice when you're spit up on or even peed on because it really just doesn't matter. Yes, it's frustrating sometimes, but there are bigger rewards, too. So just tell people you think your own baby will be a little different than an animal, and question why they like their pets more than their kids. Hehe. Just kidding on the last bit.
sounds like.... fun! you make me laugh!! we miss you guys.
Having a dog isn't like a kid...yes it demands your attention and it relies on you for everything, but it's different. Don't ever listen to the naysayers who comment that maybe you're not ready for children. Animals can become part of your family, but it's completely different.
I think you'll be a great mom, regardless of what happens with the puppy. Eventually kids can talk to you and you can reason with them...animals will never agree to sit quietly during dinner in exchange for an extra scoop of ice cream....
Post a Comment