Aug 19, 2009

Why I expect kids will be easier than a puppy

1. Diapers. Sure those can be a pain, but for the most part (I know, not ALWAYS), they keep the output contained. Children don't run around peeing on your stuff.



2. Mobility. Babies are pretty immobile for a while. As long as they're happy, you can set them down and move around the house without having your eye glued to them. You can rest assured, they're not going to go anywhere you don't want them to go.



3. Toothlessness. Babies are not born with razor sharp teeth and an innate desire to destroy whatever sits in front of them.



4. Smell. Nobody ever walks into a house and thinks "EW, it smells like BABY in here!!" I mean really, could there even be a better smell than a freshly bathed baby? My freshly bathed puppy smells like wet dog. Blech!



5. Portability. For MOST places you go, you can bring your baby. You might not WANT to, but you have the ability to. I've never seen a "no babies allowed" sign. The same can't be said for a puppy.



Please don't think I'm making light of motherhood here. I KNOW raising my baby will be harder than raising my puppy, but in these specific instances, I think babies will be easier.



Just to be fair, I'll include a few reason's puppies are easier than babies.



1. Crateability. As far as I know, it's not socially acceptable to lock your baby in a cage while you go to work. CPS might take issue with that.



2. Cost. No diapers, clothes (unless you're into that sort of thing), and all the other expenses that come with babies/children. Puppy's aren't cheap, or free, by any means. Doctor appointments, food, etc can get pricey, but not comparable to the overall cost of raising a child.

That is all.

7 comments:

Christa Jeanne said...

LoL - great post, Mis!

Anonymous said...

Eventually your kid starts teething and it hurts but every kid is different so not all of them bite. Right now, while I adore my daughter, the days involving the terrible twos are driving me to madness. She has peed on my feet twice this week but I shouldn't complain cause she doesn't ruin my clothes though she often takes them from me and tries to wear them. At least she can tell me she's sorry and give me hugs and kisses-which I'd take her kisses over a dog any day. Before you know it your dog will grow up some and learn.

jimmy said...

I still can't even believe you got a dog. But you're really overthinking this :) You're not a dog person. Okay. That's that. I've never met anyone who doesn't love their own kid. BTW, making your child puts a whole new level of love into it than buying or adopting a dog (that you didn't want).

Greg and Diana said...

I think you have exactly the right perspective on the differences...and you are spot on with your assessment of child-rearing!! It is definitely easier in some ways than a puppy!!

And we can't put them in cages (nor would you want to) but Pack-and-Plays and play-yards are the best invention EVER for kids. The play yard fits in a living room and then the kid can crawl around, play with toys, do whatever, they are just contained so they don't get into anything!!

Just wait, you'll have a baby of your own and you'll be thinking "wow, this is SOOO much easier than a puppy!"

Oh, and the diapers...I've had a boy and a girl, and even though both have their own diapering challenges, I would rather change poopy diapers all day than clean it up from my rug everytime!!

Allison said...

Missy, I laughed. Not because it isn't true, but just because it was funny. I actually had a dream that we dogsat your dog for you and it kept biting my ankle! So I totally feel your pain :).

Annica said...

Not sure about the mobility part, once kids CAN walk, they are into EVERYTHING! And the razor sharp teeth go away at 6 months. I let Max play bite me all the time and it doesn't hurt at all. Hopefully the potty training is going well! :)

Annica said...

Not sure about the mobility part, once kids CAN walk, they are into EVERYTHING! And the razor sharp teeth go away at 6 months. I let Max play bite me all the time and it doesn't hurt at all. Hopefully the potty training is going well! :)