Let me start by saying I REALLY, STRONGLY dislike dogs. I think they smell, they're a lot of work, they destroy things, etc. I've NEVER wanted one. While dating, Ryan agreed, NO dogs for us! Well somewhere between dating and now, Ryan has changed his mind. He has really been wanting a dog for a while now. I told Ryan that the only dog I would agree to get is an English Bulldog. They are cute enough that I MIGHT be able to overlook all the stuff I don't like about dogs.
We began researching them about a year ago and found out that they really are the perfect breed for us. They are considered great apartment dogs, as they really prefer to lounge around inside than play and tear stuff up outside. They are rather lazy and actually can't go for very long walks because they get tired. They are quiet and only bark when really upset or when they feel threatened. They are mellow and don't require tons of attention. They are just happy laying by your side. Once we found all this out, we realized this really would be the best dog for us. Unfortunately, English Bulldogs are one of the most expensive breeds there is. New puppies ranged from $2,000 - $5,000 and you rarely find them in shelters, so we couldn't just go adopt one. So puppy plans were put on hold.
Ryan would research prices every so often and see if he could find a deal, but I never really expected much.
This week, that all changed. On Monday, he emailed me a link to a Craigs List ad that had 11 and 13 week old puppies for much cheaper than we had seen before. AND, the best part was that they were local. Most of the "deals" we've found were in Oklahoma or somewhere back East. I told Ryan to go check them out and see if they looked healthy, so he did...and they did. I thought about it a little and realized that one day I'm going to have to give in and get a dog because I don't want to be the mean wife who doesn't let her husband or family get something they REALLY REALLY want. I figured if I didn't take advantage of this opportunity now, I'd end up getting stuck with some other dog that I really don't want in the future...so I agreed to it.
Tuesday night we went over to look at the puppies so I could see if I really wanted to do this. We took my friend Melissa because she works at a vet and might be able to see any noticeable health issues right away. Everything checked out and we decided to go ahead. Up until this point, I was really getting excited. We decided to go out and buy some stuff (crate, food, leash, etc.) for the puppy and come back the next day to get him.
On our way to the pet store, it hit me. I was no longer excited. I was sick to my stomach and REALLY not sure I wanted to do this. I quietly followed Ryan and Melissa in the pet store as they grabbed the things we would need. They consoled me and told me I wouldn't regret it (we'll see). Ryan made me pick out the food/water bowls in an attempt to get me excited again. I got really cute ones, but I wasn't feeling excited. That night we got the house ready. We rolled up our rug so if the pup pees in the house, it'll just be on tile. We put cords away and pulled up anything breakable. It was like we were baby proofing :)
Yesterday Ryan went and picked up the puppy while I was at work. I was nervous that I wouldn't like him. Sure he's cute as can be, but what if I'm a bad mom? When we first went to see them I refused to hold him...would I ever come around?! Well, Ryan brought the puppy here to the office on his way home and I softened a little. I still wouldn't hold him, but I kept petting him and thought he was just lovely. So quiet and calm.
When I got home, I got to play with him a little and later we cuddled while watching tv. I started to realize that this might not be so bad. I still have a lot of coming around to do, but so far, I don't totally regret it...except when he pees inside...
SO... here he is:
Ryan ended up carrying him most of the way...lazy bum
We walked to Brian and Desiree's. They live a few blocks away and have a puppy of their own...
The puppies meet...they were pretty good together too. Baxter (the big one) was very gentle with ours...who remains unnamed...we're working on it.
Anyway...that's the story. We're crate training him so he'll be in a crate at night and during the day while we're away. We will NOT allow him to roam freely and mark his "territory" around the house while we're gone...that is NOT ok. Hopefully soon he'll be potty trained and learn to hold it until he gets outside. It's been one day and I'm already sick of the little accidents...luckily it's just on the tile and can be easily cleaned up.
Wish us luck, I need it. Ryan doesn't so much. He's in love. And the puppy loves him and follows him all around. I still have some coming around to do.
4 comments:
Good luck with potty training! Let me know if you want some ideas. Max was really easy to train - crating works really well. We now let Max alone at our house without being locked up. Don't worry, you will soon love "W....", well whatever his name is! :)
Welcome to parenthood, Mis! Your life will never be the same again. As my stepmom says, having a dog is like having a perpetual toddler - they're reliant upon you for everything. But they're cute and snuggly and loveable, which makes up for all the effort (including mornings like today when I somehow stepped in dog poo in the house!!! EWWWWWW!!!!).
Honestly, I'm still in shock that you of all people has a dog - but it's a good thing, I'm sure. :)
BriAnna thinks your puppy is so cute and thinks he smart cause he's "crossing the street." (those are her words) good luck with him
His a cute puppy! He looks like a Wiston to me. Enjoy!
Post a Comment