So I got a job that is sort of in the feild I studied for in school. Hooray!
As you know I studied speech and in order to go on as a SLPA (my ultimate goal), I need to get certified. BUT the certification program is impacted with a 2 year PLUS wait list. So I can't do much with my degree now. (I feel like a broken record, I must have explained this a million times already).
Anyway, I've been really unhappy with my current job. I've been here for over 4 years and while I'm treated really well and have great benefits, sometimes I get fed up and just want to quit. It's the same thing every day. Nothing changes. And it's not even remotely related to what I want to do. That frustration has inspired me to browse craigslist.org for job postings related to my major. I found several positions for a Behavioral Therapist (ABA Therapist) working with children with Autism, but most required someone with at least 1-2 years of experience working with autistic or special needs children. I don't have any experience.
I finally found one company that said they preferred experience but were willing to train "the right person". I had a good feeling about this company and sent my resume a month ago but never heard back. Since then, I've revised my resume and added my experience from teaching Sunday School at church on to it to show that I at least have experience working with children. Recently, I noticed this same company continued to post on craigslist and I decided last week that I should re-submit my revised resume. There was just something about this company and I KNEW I had to try again. It's the only one out of several that I got such a positive feeling about.
Well, on Friday I got a call back. On Monday I had a phone interview. On Tuesday I had a face-to-face interview and after that, I was HIRED. They asked specifically about my experience teaching Sunday School, so I know that was what clinched it for me and I'm SO glad I decided to put that on there.
Training starts 12/4 and is one week long. Then I guess I'm out on my own. The job will consist of me going to appointments at a child's house or school to help them with a therapy plan. The goal is to help them improve their communication and social abilities which can be severely delayed with autism and other disorders. The position is part time and I believe it's just in the afternoons/early evenings, so I'm hoping to maintain full time status at my current job for the benefits. It's going to be a lot of work balancing a full time job and a part time job, but I imagine it will be kind of like when I was balancing a full time job with full time school. I'll have really long days and I might feel burnt out sometimes, but it'll all be worth it, I think.
This job will help me to make a difference in the lives of many special needs children and it will give me great experience for when I switch over to speech. You have to start somewhere and this is my start. The first job of my CAREER.
2 comments:
Congrats!! I hope you will be happy at your new job!!
Is that like the people that came to our house to help Gregory? It sounds like the same thing. That is very exciting. Good luck!
Post a Comment