Dec 10, 2009

Overdrawn

Overdrawn: that's kind of how I feel. I only have so much physical and mental energy, and this week more is required of me than I have to give.

These past two weeks I've been in training for my new job. It's INTENSE. I guess it has to be, considering I was hired with no experience and will soon be out working with children with autism. I have a lot to learn and need to learn it fast, I get that, but WHEW, I didn't know what I was in for.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but I got a job as an Behavioral/ABA therapist...or tutor, it's kind of called both, but I like therapist more...it sounds more professional :) Anyway, it's part time, so I'm staying full time at my admin job to maintain my benefits and 401K. During training for this new gig, I've been working at my office in the mornings and going straight to training after. Training is pretty much like being back in school; we go through Powerpoint lectures, take notes, make note cards and get tested on everything. It's boring and it's hard to sit still for 5-7 hours taking notes...with little-to-no break.

Wanna see my schedule since I started training last Thurs?

Thurs. - 11 HOURS: Office 7-12:30 / training 1 - 6
Fri. - 11 HOURS: Office 7 - 12:30 / training 1 - 6
Sat. - 8 HOURS: Training 9 - 2 / office (to make up some hours) 2:30 - 5
Sun. - 5 HOURS: Training 9 - 2
Mon. - 11 HOURS: Office 7 - 12:30 / training 1 - 6
Tues. - 13 HOURS: Office 7 - 12:30 / training 1 - 8
Wed. - 10 HOURS: Training 8-10:30 / office 11 - 6
Thurs. - 13 HOURS: Office 7 - 12:30 / training 1 - 8
Fri. - 11 HOURS: Office 7 - 12:30 / training 1-6
Sat. - 8 HOURS: Office - some time in the day to make up hours

See, my only real break in there is the 30 minutes I have to get from one job to the next. During training, we've been choosing not to take a lunch so we don't have to stay later. Once the training is complete, I'll get a regular work schedule which hopefully will be a lot LESS than this.

Meanwhile, all work at home has been put on hold. The floors are a mess, the bathroom is a mess, I still have Christmas boxes out...my clean clothes are still sitting on the couch (but they're folded, thanks Ryan! AND the dishes are done, thanks Ryan!). Ryan has been on his own for dinners and has come up with some interesting options. One night he just grilled up some sausage links and ate them plain, and last night he microwaved 3 hot dogs...no buns. Just hot dogs, plain. Poor guy. I look forward to being a wife again...making dinner and cleaning were NEVER favorites of mine, but now I do kind of miss doing them.

Other than not being able to feed my husband and keep a clean house, I thought I was handling this schedule pretty well...mentally at least. Well, I learned last night that maybe it's getting to me more than I realized. Let's just say there were some tears shed and Ryan is a good man for being able to deal with me...and to think I'm cute when I'm crying for no reason at all other than I'm EXHAUSTED.

So THAT'S why I feel "overdrawn" lately. And I'm SO excited to see it end this weekend.

1 comment:

Annica said...

Hang in there!!! I'm glad it's almost over. For a period of 4 months (Jan-April of 2005) I had 2 jobs, I worked from 8-4, then worked 4:30 to 10:30 every day and then always a shift on Saturday and Sunday. I remember treasuring the nights that I only had my 8-4 job. I had to keep telling myself that it wouldn't be forever.