We've lived up North for 3 weeks and I've been to the dentist...THREE times. We are VERY lucky that my mom works for a dentist in the area who is willing to work on both of us for free. I had a check up and got all necessary work done before moving here (and before my insurance ran out), but my mom came up with an offer that I couldn't refuse: Spring retainers.
A few years after getting my braces off, I lost my retainers.
--FUNNY STORY: I was working at the gap and was wearing a new jacket. While on my break, I took my retainers out to eat and put them in my jacket pocket. I forgot to put them back in after my break and decided the next day that I didn't like that jacket very much so I returned it. Never saw the retainers again :(
I was embarrassed and thought my mom would be mad at me, so I didn't tell her. Since I didn't live at home I didn't think she'd ever find out...until my teeth started shifting. They don't look terrible, but it's something that bothers me and I've considered getting braces again to fix it...I assumed that was my only option. I had no idea that RETAINERS could fix my teeth.
ANYWAY -- to get fitted for the retainers I had to get impressions made (which I HATE doing...I gag and drool, A LOT!). The lab requires absolutely PERFECT impressions and my first set didn't turn out right. Neither did the second. I just went back last week for my THIRD set of impressions and hope the third time's a charm!! But I'm not counting on it. I just want to get these right so that I can get started on this process and start seeing my teeth MOVE. Once I get the retainers, it should only take a few months...so maybe by fall, I'll have a brand new smile :) OH, and since the impressions have to be made anyway, my mom is sending them in for me to get custom fitted bleach trays. I'll have perfect straight and white teeth. Can't WAIT.
Ryan is also getting bleach trays and a retainer for his bottom teeth, so we're both very excited. Funny thing is, his impressions aren't turning out right either. The office hasn't had problems with anyone else...

1 comment:
Justin: So since I get free dental care at the school I've been going a lot lately. I hadn't had dental insurance before this so it had been a long time since I'd seen a dentist (since before my mission). I've had to have seven fillings, two of which are silver since the student dentist who sees me made the preparations too big and only silver would work. The last one I got was a tooth colored filling but it kept giving me pain so they replaced it with a silver filling. It's still giving me pain so now we think the tooth is cracked and I have to go in again to get it fixed. And after all this I'm still going to be a dentist because someday I'm going to be in the chair raking in all the dough.
Post a Comment