May 28, 2010

My corneal abrasion

Last night I started having pain in my left eye when I would blink. I immediately took out my contacts, but the pain only seemed to get worse. I decided to go to bed and figured it would get better. I just did not want to have to go to the Dr. since I lost my health insurance when I quit my job to move up North. Unfortunately, laying with my eyes closed hurt as much as blinking and the discomfort kept me up most of the night. At 2am I admitted defeat and came out of the bedroom to start looking up eye doctors in the area. I found one close and decided I would call first thing in the morning to make an apt. I figured an appointment couldn't cost more than about $50, and I remembered I still had $500 in my health savings account, so it wouldn't be too bad, right?

I got to the optometrist today at 11:00 and told them I thought I had an infection or a scratch on my eye or something. I explained my symptoms, swollen, watery, bright red, burning eyes, with an extreme sensitivity to bright light (I could hardly keep my eyes open in the sunlight). She took a look and it turns out, I was right about the scratch. I have a corneal abrasion. The Dr. thinks I got it from either removing my contacts or from not using wetting drops enough while I wear my contacts. I have dry eyes and when they're not moistened and I move my eyes my contacts move and rub against the cornea a little, which causes damage.

She said there is nothing to do for the pain, I just have to wait for it to heal, which will take about a week...and in fact, I have to make the pain WORSE every 3 hours with some REALLY expensive ($97) anti-biotic eye drops that sting like crazy. My appointment ended up costing $100 AND she said I have to come back tomorrow and again later in the week to make sure there is no scarring, which would damage my vision permanently. Each appointment will cost about $100 (which IS the discounted cash-pay rate). So in the end, my stupid cornea will end up costing about $400. I'm SOOO glad I still had money in my HSA account!!

So you wanna see the damage?

On the bright side, I get to wear these awesome sunglass inserts to avoid pain from the light. Stylish, right?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

OUCH! It looks so painful. I hope it you start feeling better really soon!!!
Take care.

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the post-mydriatric suns they give you. While they are less than attractive they definitely keep the light out.
Hope you start feeling better soon.

Marni's Organized Mess said...

Totally stylish! You look HOT! ; ) How are you feeling now?