Aug 19, 2010

Day 5: Fjord

fjord: a long, narrow inlet with steep sides, created in a valley carved by glacial activity


I figured I'd throw the definition up here because I sure didn't know what one was before this trip, so I can't expect you all to know what a fjord is either. 
---

On day 5, Rick woke us all up early to let us know we were travelling through the fjord. I think it was about 6:30am. Most of the cruise passengers had to go out on deck to see the view, but we were lucky enough to have a big balcony and a huge window that stretched the length of the living room, so we got to see the beautiful views from the comfort of our suite, in our pajamas.

When we woke up we could see the mountainsides and from the pictures you can see that there were many little waterfalls trickling down the mountains from the snow and ice up top. There was also LOTS of ice floating in the water. The water must have been ICE COLD...ha, get it?? ANYWAY....It was really pretty!!

It took a while but when we finally got to the end of the fjord, you could see the huge glacier. It's breathtaking, but I think most shocking is that it's kind of dirty. It almost looks like tire tracks going over the ice into the water. I just didn't expect that, I guess. But it's still so cool looking. Also, just as we got to end of the fjord, a seal came out and swam right up to the boat...right under our balcony. Thanks to my great zoom lens, I was able to get some close shots of him too. Cute, right?


I'd say we were out of the fjord by 10 or 11, so anyone who slept in that day missed it. The rest of the day was spent at sea...as was the next day...we were on our way to Victoria, BC. To keep busy on the boat we played a lot of Phase 10 and Monopoly Deal. We also participated in the organized trivia games, name that tune games and scavenger hunts...but we could never get better than 2nd place. :(

1 comment:

Courtney N said...

Yea we did get 2nd place a lot BUT at least we were consistent!!