Aug 16, 2010

Alaskan Cruise - days 1-4

We're BACK! Did you know we were gone? Probably not, since I haven't been so great at updating my blog as of late. I've been preoccupied with various things, but I'm trying to get better at documenting life...so I'll start with our vacation. 

We were gone for 10 days and just returned last night. We took a 7 day Alaskan cruise and then spent 3 days in Seattle. We took the trip with Ryan's parents, brother, and sister and we had a blast. 


We boarded the boat in Seattle and had an entire day at sea scheduled before getting to our first stop. That first sea day was also formal night, so we got to dress up and take some fun pictures.


The first stop of the trip was Juneau, Alaska. It was cold, rainy, and foggy, but we didn't let it slow us down.

We walked the streets of Juneau and took a tour of Alaska's State capital building.

We went through lots of shops where Ryan and Luke found some fun hats...Luke bought his. He'll need it for the cold Idaho winters he's in for. We had an excursion scheduled in Juneau to take a float plane over the glaciers, but it was cancelled due to rain and fog...thus the sad faces in the bottom right picture.

We founds some great food in Juneau. And by "great", I mean the BEST crab any of us have EVER had. Definitely a highlight of the trip. We enjoyed two buckets of those MASSIVE King crab legs and the Raindeer sausage Rick is holding, which was yummy too.

The next day we went to Skagway, Alaska. The weather was MUCH better. No rain, no fog...just some scattered clouds.

We took advantage of the nice weather and were able to go up in a plane here since we missed our chance in Juneau. It was a tiny 5 seater plane and it was a TIGHT squeeze to get us all in there, but the views were incredible. The glaciers looked so cool!! Unfortunately, it was a bumpy ride and Courtney and I both got sick and had to use the "sick bags" before landing.

Ryan and I just before heading back to the boat for lunch.

That day was also Courtney's birthday so we celebrated at dinner with cake. There was a mix-up with the cake order, so they brought us one at dinner AND we had one waiting in our suite when we got back from dinner. We called room service that night to order forks and milk and enjoyed a midnight snack!

Still to come: Days 5-10...including sailing through the fjord, our port in Victoria, BC, and 3 days in Seattle. I took lots of pictures (over 600), so it may take some time to get collages together and blog the rest of it...

1 comment:

Courtney N said...

Yeah! What an awesome vacation! The pictures turned out great! Speaking of the pics... we never worked out how you were going to get them to me : )