
When I was a sophomore in high school, I went to the eye doctor and got my very first pair of glasses. I had never noticed how poor my vision was until that glorious day when I put my glasses on and drove back to school with my mom. I was shocked and amazed to see individual blades of grass and to be able to read the street signs. Prior to that day, my friend Megan and I would often race to see who could read street signs first...neither of us could read them until we were practically UNDER them. It was pathetic.
I loved my glasses! I thought they looked cute and for many years, I actually had no interest in wearing contacts. I did end up getting them one year, but I didn't take care of them (supposed to take them out every night, but would leave them in for weeks at a time, no joke). Once I ran out of that batch of contacts, I happily stuck to glasses. Fast forward five years or so and I'm engaged. I really didn't have a strong desire to get contacts again, but I did want them for the wedding pictures, so I went for it. This time around, I took extra good care of them and even started to prefer them over glasses.
It's been over a year now and I only wear glasses when I'm feeling tired or lazy. Lately however, my contacts have been driving me crazy. Sometimes they feel fine, but they make my eyes bright red. Other times, they itch and burn and I just want to rip them out!! It is very rare that they are just wonderfully comfortable, like they were when I first started wearing them. What's changed? Not my prescription, or my brand of contacts...I think my eyes are just tired of them. Perhaps I should go to the Doctor and try a different pair, but I have a better solution...LASIK!!
It's something I've always thought about doing in the future, like in 10 years. There was no rush. I wasn't the type who felt inconvenienced or frustrated by glasses and contacts...until recently. Now Lasik is all I can think about. How amazing would it be to wake up in the morning and SEE without reaching for my glasses? And to not have a plastic little thing float over my eyeballs every day? And to not have to blink all the time to focus because my contacts make my vision blurry? I think it would be just amazing!
So, we're looking into it. Well, we haven't started looking into it, but we will be. In the next year or so, I hope to be able to say "ADIOS" to my glasses and contacts forever!!
6 comments:
Jealous. I want Lasik. I share in your dream of no contacts or glasses. Especially once you have a baby and you are getting up in the night, you should definitly do it!!!
Ok-Lasik-something I know about. If you are planning on having kids you might want to wait. Typically the hormonal changes can change your vision. Yes you can have it enhanced but it depends on how much corneal tissue you have left. Don't get me wrong lasik rocks but I've experienced it and seen many other people deal with the same thing. There are contacts that you sleep in at night and they correct your vision so you don't wear anything in the day as well. Regardless though of when you do it-don't go for the cheapest place. Usually they are the nightmare stories you hear about. Research the doctors. I also recommend a national chain because if you move and need help later you don't have to travel back or pay someone else. You might want to try a new type of contact as well. I wish I was still in the field so I could get you some stuff to try. Anyhow it still rocks and I hope you get it whenever you get it
Yeah, I hate contacts. I mean, I like them better than glasses, but I hate that I have to pay to see. Grrrr. I hope you get it!
Hi- I had lasik about two years ago. Best gift my parents EVER gave me. It was the weirdest thing- i had it done, took a nap and woke up and could see every little detail on everything. Like your friend Aubri said- having a baby kinda messes things up- but I bought a plan that if my eyes change they will redo it for free, so I'd look for a plan like that. Over all they- I love it!!
I started going 'blind' when I was prego with my son and when I put on my sister in law's glasses, I was like HOLY! I can see!
Post a Comment