
So...my dad has been "battling pneumonia" since December/January. The reason I put that in quotes is because it's actually not possible to have pneumonia for that long. BUT, his doctor didn't clue in to that and just kept putting him on medications, which would temporarily cure the symptoms, but really made the real problem get worse and worse. The doctor missed it. My dad went to the hospital (because he couldn't breath), and they missed it. Missed what, you might ask...Congestive Heart Failure!!!
My uncle is a doctor and he actually predicted the heart failure over the phone (because he's amazing)... but the doctors who actually worked on my dad couldn't figure it out. Gives you a lot of faith in the medical field huh? Finally, after urging from my uncle, my dad saw a specialist who RUSHED my dad to the cardiologist. That was all less than a week ago. The cardiologist ran a bunch of tests and got the results today. My dad's heart is working at 22% capacity...um, it should be at 70 - 80%, so 22% is BAD. He also has fluid build-up and has really high blood pressure.
So now, my dad, who has hardly been sick my entire life, is heading to the hospital for a few days. It's scary that all this is going on, and we keep hearing how serious it is. Last time I saw my dad (last month), everything seemed fine, except for the not breathing very well part.
Mostly I feel bad for my dad. Hospitals stink! I just hope they fix what they need to fix...without surgery...and fast!
5 comments:
Yeah, it is scary. I work at a hospital, and sometimes the stupidity of the nurses seriously scares me. Also, doctors miss a lot of things. Usually they are in a hurry, lazy, or just plain don't care. I'm sorry about your dad! I hope he gets better soon!
It's a good thing your uncle is sooo good at what he does. He's one of the dr's who's not in it for the money but for the love of taking care of patients. Good luck. We'll keep you all in our prayers
Missy, I just read your blog and I am so sorry to hear about your dad. What did the doctor decide to do? Is he still in the hospital? Let me know. I would call you but you are still at work so let me know when you have a minute.
I have lost faith in dr's in the past year. Almost completely. They suck.
But my thoughts are with your father and your family. I hope that he is up and running soon!
Hugs.
I'm sorry to hear all that is happening with your family right now. We will keep you all in our prayers.
Post a Comment