Apr 9, 2009

So close, but so far away...

Guess what! I picked up my graduation tickets today. It's real! It's happening in just over a month. I can't even believe it.

Next, I have to go BACK to community college and participate in the SLPA program (Speech and Language Pathology Assistant - in the field, we call it "slippa").

Well, a while back I learned that the wait list for this program is LONG. At least a year long. So I knew I needed to apply right then in order to not have much down time between graduating at Fullerton and starting the program. Unfortunately, I couldn't apply back then because I wasn't a senior yet. I should have applied last semester, but I didn't. I don't know why...I just didn't. So now, I need to do it and I'm finding that it's the hardest thing to do!

There are only 7 approved programs in California - 6 of which are in Southern CA - 4 of which are within commuting distance from our home. Lucky, right? Well, I thought so, but these schools make it almost IMPOSSIBLE to apply. First of all, only one school has an application online. The other schools don't have applications online or ANY information on applying to the program. SO, I emailed the head of the department for 2 of the schools and never got a response. AND, they don't answer their phones. The one school that DID have an application directs you to fax your application in...well the fax comes back with a "communication error". So now, I'm sending it through the regular mail and HOPING it gets there. Now I just have to figure out how to get an application in to the other 3 schools. I guess I just need to be more aggressive, which is really hard for me.

SO, it looks like after graduation I'll have a good amount of time where I'll just be working. The thing is, I'll be getting off at 3:30 every day. I'm going to get SO bored after about a week of that so I'm thinking about getting a part time job at Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn (or some other fun store like that) to make a little extra money and get a great discount to a store I love. :)

Anyway, that's the update on me.

(I'm not proof-reading this post, so I hope it all makes sense)

1 comment:

Marni's Organized Mess said...

It makes perfect sense, congrats!