Dec 5, 2010

my first real sewing project

Sundays after church are lazy days. We get home at noon, eat lunch, then I take a nap while Ryan plays a video game. When I wake up I usually bake or cook dinner or read or try to find something to do to keep me busy. So today seemed like the perfect day to do a little sewing project.

I got a sewing machine a while back and I've used it for small crafts and mending projects, but I haven't really made anything from start to finish and I wanted to try before we have the baby. My mom gave me a booklet of easy baby crafts like bibs and stuff, but I decided to start even easier than that and make a nursing cover.


                                                 

I read some tutorials online to get an idea of what to do but I pretty much figured it out on my own, I mean, it's a pretty simple thing to make...just a simple rectangle with some straps and some boning. Even in it's simplicity I'm pretty proud of it, and the best part was that it only took about an hour.  That's MY kind of project!!

I also realized that I'm a lazy sewer. I was not about to pin all the sides before sewing so I just ironed them so they stayed in place. I'm all about the easy way out. 

Now I just need to wait a few more months for a baby to hide under there.... :) 

*Funny story: When Ryan asked what i was making, I told him it was going to be a nursing cover. He said "oh" and went about his business. When I finished it and was trying it on he said "Ohhhhhh, a HOOTER HIDER". I didn't know he had ever heard of one of those :) 

1 comment:

Marni's Organized Mess said...

You did great!! I don't know how to sew or have a machine, but I was lucky enough to have my Gramma, who made me like, 5!! It was so nice to have extras for the diaper bag and laundry.